Welcome

After successfully concluding my Fulbright in Jamaica, it's on to the next step . . . graduate school. This blog will document my journey through the M.A./Ph.D. program in Anthropology and the path toward becoming a professional archaeologist. Forgive me as the posts will likely be sporadic and at times extraneous.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Recipe #5: Irish Moss

Last week I was instructed, along with a group of other students in the masterful art of preparing Irish Moss, a uniquely Jamaican drink made from seaweed. To prepare this drink you will need the Irish Moss (there is a yellow and an orange variation of the plant, the orange is more expensive but has a better taste), linseed, isinglass, and gum Arabic (all of which are shown below). I'm not sure where you can find these ingredients outside of Jamaica. We were told to go to the market and ask for Irish Moss and the specific ingredients but I doubt that will work in too many other countries.The chef has been preparing Irish Moss for years and didn't give any measurements, so I will attempt to explain the recipe as I saw it. First you clean the moss under running water (enough to fill a large pot about 1/4 of the way). Then you sprinkle about a tablespoon of gum Arabic, and 2 tablespoons of isinglass and another 2 of linseed.
Once all of the ingredients are in, fill the rest of the pot a little more than halfway with water. You allow the concoction to boil for 30 minutes to an hour or until the color starts to change and the consistency gets a little thicker. Remember to stir occasionally throughout. If you over cook it it will solidify and become almost like a gelatin. It is recommended that you add vanilla to taste and some people prefer to add sugar, and milk as well (or rum, if thats what you're into). When the drink is finished you drain of the liquid, discarding the seaweed, and let it cool in the refrigerator. It is said that Irish Moss is good for the digestive system and can serve as an energy boost. I have yet to recreate this drink but if you would like a more exact recipe you can check out this one or buy it in a can.

No comments:

Post a Comment