Welcome

After successfully concluding my Fulbright in Jamaica, it's on to the next step . . . graduate school. This blog will document my journey through the M.A./Ph.D. program in Anthropology and the path toward becoming a professional archaeologist. Forgive me as the posts will likely be sporadic and at times extraneous.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Rulers Back

Sorry for the long lapse in time since my last post. I recently reconfigured the blog - as you can see - to accommodate my recent move to Gainesville, Florida for graduate school. I came back from Jamaica the beginning of June, spent a week or two back at home then headed down here to start the Board of Education Summer Fellowship Program for incoming minority graduate students. During those six weeks, we took classes on graduate writing, research methods, and I took an independent study in archaeology, culminating in a 20-page paper on the nexus between African archaeology and liberation movements. The dig we did in Jamaica also made the cover story of the latest edition of American Archaeology, so you can check it out at your local Borders or Barnes and Nobles. I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you are very passionate about American archaeology; it's pretty expensive.

Now I'm just getting situated before school starts next week. I recently moved into my new apartment and began buying my school books. This semester I'm taking Pro Seminar, Cultural Heritage Management, Advanced Swahili, and Postcolonial Thought in Archaeology and Anthropology. I knew grad school was going to be a lot of reading but I never thought about buying all of these books. Amazon has slightly eased the tension by offering all college students a free one-year membership of Amazon Prime (normally $80/yr), which means free two-day shipping on your books. This is going to be a busy (and expensive) semester, to say the least.

2 comments:

  1. But if anyone's prepared for it, u are

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyyy congrats on the grad school decision and finishing Fulbright! I miss the Caribbean, though... how's life???

    ReplyDelete