Welcome

After successfully concluding my Fulbright in Jamaica, it's on to the next step . . . graduate school. This blog will document my journey through the M.A./Ph.D. program in Anthropology and the path toward becoming a professional archaeologist. Forgive me as the posts will likely be sporadic and at times extraneous.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness . . .

Yesterday I took my sister to see the new apocalyptic movie "2012." While I didn't anticipate that much from the film, I was intrigued by one part. Not to give away the film, but there is a scene where two monks are discussing their views on worldly matters and the junior monk is clearly fixed in his judgement. In the midst of the discussion, the senior monk proceeds to refill the younger one's tea beyond the point of overflowing. The young monk tells him that the cup is already full and can't hold anymore. In reply the elder likens the cup to the younger monks mind; you must first empty your cup before you can properly accept what others have to offer.

I'm not sure exactly where this story comes from but I came across it several years ago in paper on Jeet Kune Do (click link to download) authored by Bruce Lee himself. Jeet Kune Do means "the way of the intercepting fist" and is the martial art style he created some years ago. In this paper a similar story is told with reference to a Zen master and a "learned man." I liked the fact that the filmmakers were able to translate such a meaningful tradition into an audiovisual form. Maybe one day we will be able to see a visual representation of the Tao Te Ching.

No comments:

Post a Comment