Welcome

After successfully concluding my Fulbright in Jamaica, it's on to the next step . . . graduate school. This blog will document my journey through the M.A./Ph.D. program in Anthropology and the path toward becoming a professional archaeologist. Forgive me as the posts will likely be sporadic and at times extraneous.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Recipe #4: Jerk Chicken

So i don't usually eat meat here in Jamaica (except for fish) but I wanted to try cooking some Jerk Chicken before I head home for the holidays. I didn't get a chance to try all of the different brands of Jerk seasoning but the one I did try out was pretty good. Perhaps later I will attempt to make some Jerk from scratch. There are many different recipes out there with a variety of secret ingredients ranging from Soy Sauce to Orange Juice. However this one came from a bottle of Sunrite. The key to cooking Jerk Chicken is to cook it on a low heat. If you cook it too high the chicken will get tough. It is best to cook it over an open flame but the oven works good for those cooking inside. Also the chicken should marinate at least for 4 hours, and at best overnight. Some also recommend poking holes into the chicken beforehand to let the seasoning seep in. You can really jerk anything from fish to tofu, I even threw a little into my rice to spice it up a bit. I also hear the Jerk Pork is amazing but I won't be trying it anytime soon.

1 comment: