Welcome

After successfully concluding my Fulbright in Jamaica, it's on to the next step . . . graduate school. This blog will document my journey through the M.A./Ph.D. program in Anthropology and the path toward becoming a professional archaeologist. Forgive me as the posts will likely be sporadic and at times extraneous.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Quotes of the Week #6 and #7

The month of February is not only the Black History Month in Jamaica, but as of 2008 Reggae Month as well. Thus in keeping with tradition the University of West Indies hosted a number of events dedicated to highlighting reggae history and culture. While sitting in the back row of the Annual Bob Marley Lecture Series listening to Ras Tekla Mekfet; I had an epiphany.

I realized that I have been spending all of this time reading in search of the one quotation that could be abstractly applied to this thing we call life. All the while not realizing that life itself presents many moments of reflection. Therefore this weeks' quotes comes from no ancient tome or well known speech, but pieces of wisdom I overheard and moments of self-reflection.

The first quote is from a side comment made by Ras Tekla Mekfet during his keynote speech --which I jotted down on the edge of the brochure:

"I prefer nature to technology, its more reliable and consistent." (Ras Tekla Mekfet)

The second quote came to me today while I was feeling good, walking down a backstreet headed to the bus stop humming "Knocks Me Off My Feet" by Stevie Wonder. Unfortunately I had to experience it to realize it . . . lets just say it humbled me:

"The man who walks with his head high too long will either step in a ditch or a pile of sh't." (Me)

Last month I stepped in a pile of sh't. Today I stepped in a ditch and almost fell, looking like a fool.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I like how you tried to censor yourself

    ReplyDelete